- Because there is no God, everything is absurd. (Cox takes Sartre’s position on this, as opposed to that of some atheists who try to find objective moral meaning.)
- Humans are simply parts of the godless and absurd universe.
- The part shares the quality of the whole.
- Therefore (a), there is no room for meaning-making or personal responsibility.
- Therefore (b), everything I do is absurd, including my “choices.”
Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain (Psalm 127:1).
Professor of Philosophy